Sam Choy's Chicken Long Rice
2 lbs. chicken, skin and bones removed, cubed
4 cups chicken broth
2 inch finger of fresh ginger, crushed
1 medium onion, minced
2 cups celery, sliced thin
2 carrots, julienned
20 shiitake mushrooms
4 oz. long rice
6 green onions, cut 1 inch in length
1. Soak long rice in warm water for one hour.
2. Soak mushrooms in warm water for 20 minutes, drain, then remove stems and slice caps.
3. Pour chicken broth into large pot, add chicken and ginger and simmer for five minutes.
4. Add onion, celery, carrots, mushrooms and simmer for another 4 to 5 minutes. Drain long rice and cut
into 3-inch lengths.
5. Add green onions and long rice to pot and cook five minutes or until long rice becomes translucent.